Friday 6 May 2016

Beauty

   Life is so daily. By daily, I mean unrelenting, never stopping, continual, repeating. There have
been many times when I think the world should stop, freeze and let me off.  Then I have to rewire my thinking yet again.  His mercies are new every morning and I definitely need new mercies.  He is faithful to finish the work He has begun in me, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Okay then, I can live like that.  It seems so easy to carry my burdens and to take on the world and forget the love that Jesus shows me every second of every minute of every day.  I am getting over a cold and it has reminded me how I take my health for granted - even demanding to feel better.  I am ashamed.
   Speaking of shame, I am sad for 2 beautiful women I know and ashamed of myself for my shallow complaints.  I am not crazy about my hair. It is fine, straight and quickly going gray.  I have gone blonde in an effort to fight the gray and that helps but I still don't like my hair.  However, I have hair. The 2 lovely ladies I am thinking of have had to face the indignity of losing all their hair, not by choice as when you shave your head of your own volition, but because of the ravages of disease.  Sometimes, they can pretend that all is well, that they are past the illness and moving on. There is a sense of relief in that, some measure of control and I get that, I do it all the time. But then...then they pass a mirror and have to face the truth, yet again. "I had cancer and I will never be the same or even 
look the same again."  One friend's hair has come back and it is beautiful. She is enjoying have a head of hair again, except, it is silvery gray.  She had beautiful long brown hair, matching her kids and now it is silver and she doesn't look like herself. It is hard.
   My other dear one has had the tragedy of losing her hair for the third time, after it all grew back because of the strength of the treatments she had. That has been incredibly sad. She is facing bald spots and is now keeping her head shaved to try to encourage even growth as we hope and pray that 
the spots will fill in.  Daily, she is reminded of what has happened to her and that there is no control to be gained over this hurt.  I grieve for her and am ashamed of complaining as I run my fingers thru my hair, reminded yet again of her pain.
   Hair is an important part of what a woman sees as beauty.  We cut it, colour it and curl it. We notice others styles, admire and envy.  It is shocking and noticeable when we see a woman with a bald head. Other cultures consider it deeply shameful and so, my friends face shaming glares and wagging fingers.  Hurt upon hurt.  How to help?  I honestly don't know.
   I hope and pray that God will meet them there in their hearts and speak comfort. I see both of them as so beautiful and I am glad they are still here. Still living. Beauty is so fleeting. Our culture is deeply obsessed which doesn't help and yet, even the best of us ages and dies. The Bible has much to say about priorities, about love and grace and Heaven. Whether it is hair or wrinkles or weight
it pales in comparison to our hearts and our inner life. Lord, help me be beautiful to you. A gentle and quiet spirit. Please bless my friends with grace and comfort. You are so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment